Here’s how to fully prepare a thawed turkey in the NuWave Oven.
1 whole 12 pound turkey, thawed.
4 cabbage leaves
1 celery stalk
4 Tbs butter
1/4 cup canola oil
- Chop onion and celery into large chunks.
- Put 2 cabbage leaves under one another like a bowl.
- Place onion chunks, celery chunks and 2 Tbs of butter chunks into the cabbage bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and sage to the cabbage bowl, to taste.
- Place 2 cabbage leaves on top of the cabbage bowl, so it is a ball shape.
- Unwrap the turkey, remove any innards from the inner breast cavity and the rear. You may place them in the trash, unless you need them for another dish.
- Place the canola oil and 2 Tbs of butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in a microwave until the butter is melted.
- Rub the full exterior of the turkey with the entire canola oil and butter mixture.
- Insert the cabbage ball into the open breast cavity of the turkey.
- Place the turkey on the NuWave Oven 1″ rack, breast side down. Use the Extender Ring. Cook for 1 hour on high power/350° F.
- Turn the turkey, so it is breast side up. Cook 1 hour on high power/350° F.
- Ensure internal temperature reached 180 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
Note: A conventional oven cooking a thawed turkey takes 20 minutes per pound. Which is longer than it takes to in the NuWave Oven.
Food safety guidelines mention, turkey meat should be removed from the bones within 2 hours after cooking your turkey. Legs and wings can be kept whole.
The NuWave Oven can cook up to a 10 pound turkey without the Extender Ring, and I’ve even cooked an 11 pound frozen turkey without the Extender Ring. But for a turkey over 10 pounds, it’s best to use the Extender Ring. The maximum sized turkey the NuWave Oven was made to cook is 16 pounds.