12-pound whole turkey, fresh/thawed
1/4 Cup of Extra Light Olive Oil
1 Ounce of Butter
Smoked Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Other Poultry Seasoning of Choice
1 gallon of water
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup kosher salt
2 Tbs black peppercorns
4 crushed garlic cloves
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp thyme
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Heat the brine ingredients and then allow them to cool.
- Remove the turkey from its packaging and remove all innards from the front and back of the turkey.
- Pour the brine and enough cold water to cover the turkey in a brine bag.
- Allow the turkey to brine in with the brine bag in a pan in the refrigerator 1 hour per pound.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and dry it off with paper towels.
- Truss the turkey with cooking twine.
- Melt and mix the butter with the oil.
- Rub the oil and butter mixture over the exterior of the turkey.
- Sprinkle on salt, pepper and any other poultry seasoning of choice.
- Place the turkey in the baking pan.
- Insert meat probes into the breast and thigh meat.
- Place a rack on the lowest rack level.
- Place the baking pan on the rack.
- Set the cooker to Whole Roast, 360° F., 2 hours cooking time
- Press Start to begin cooking.
- If you prefer, cover with foil if the top starts to overcook.
- Cook until the breast and thigh meat are at or above 165° F. (This may take about 1 hour 40 minutes.)