Here’s how to fully prepare a fully frozen whole turkey in the NuWave Oven.
1 whole, 9 – 11 pound fully frozen turkey.
4 cabbage leaves
1 celery stalk
4 Tbs butter
1/4 cup canola oil
- Unwrap the frozen turkey and place it on the 1″ rack, breast side up. Use the Extender Ring if you have one. The innards with gravy bag will still be inside of the turkey, and the plastic/string leg ties may remain attached.
- Cook at high power/350° F. for 50 minutes.
- Turn breast side down and cook at high power/350° F. 70 more minutes. This should thaw the turkey enough for step #9 below.Steps #4 – #8 may be performed while steps #1 – #3 are in process.
- Chop onion and celery into large chunks.
- Put 2 cabbage leaves under one another like a bowl.
- Place onion chunks, celery chunks and 2 Tbs of butter chunks into the cabbage bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and sage to the cabbage bowl, to taste.
- Place 2 cabbage leaves on top of the cabbage bowl, so it is a ball shape.
- Remove innards. You may place them in the trash, unless you need them for another dish.
- Heat 2 Tbs butter with canola oil, till the butter is melted and mix.
- Rub the full exterior of the turkey with the entire canola oil and butter mixture.
- Insert the cabbage ball into the open breast cavity of the turkey.
- Turn the turkey breast side up. And cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour at high power/350° F.
- Check the meat temperature is at least 165° F. If not fully cooked, turn the turkey, so it’s breast side down. Cook 30 minutes at high power/350° F.
- Continue the cook and flip method in 30 minute intervals, till the meat temperature reaches 165° F.
- Ensure internal temperature reached 165° F. with a meat thermometer.
Note: A conventional oven cooking a thawed turkey takes 20 minutes per pound. Which is longer than it takes to cook a fully frozen turkey in the NuWave Oven.
Food safety guidelines mention, turkey meat should be removed from the bones within 2 hours after cooking your turkey. Legs and wings can be kept whole.
The maximum sized turkey the NuWave Oven was made to cook is 16 pounds. I would recommend you do no larger than a 14 pound turkey in the NuWave Oven.