(1) 9″ or 10″ prepared deep-dish pie crust, unbaked
1 & 1/2 large eggs or 2 medium eggs – slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 & 1/2 cups/20 ounces well-mashed, cooked sweet potatoes or yams (2/3 of a 29 oz. can, drained and mashed, is enough.)
1 & 1/8 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter – melted
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly beat all ingredients together.
- Put pie crust into a 9.5″ pie dish.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Protect the edges of the crust. You can put foil around the edges.
- Put the pie dish on the 1″ rack.
- Cook at High Power/350° F. for 50 minutes. Check an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Ensure the bottom center of the pie pan is fully refrigerator cool. This may take about 3+ hours.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Refrigerate any remaining pie immediately.
- 8 servings per pie.
(Recipe Adapted from sister site SoulFoodCookbook.com.)